Wednesday 7 March 2012

A REAL update about RADA


It appears the gods have answered my cries (maybe they read this blog?)

After many long days of waiting, my reply from RADA regarding my first round audition came in the post today. The same envelope that I had sent off to them with my application, now containing one solitary, thin letter (don’t people say that if the envelope is thick then it’s a recall, if it’s thin it’s a rejection?…) was perched upon my doormat.

Bizarrely, despite the fact that I had to attach a stamp to the envelope they still felt the need to mark it with their own franking machine anyway. I could have saved myself 36p…

Funnily enough, though, that wasn’t what was occupying the majority of my attention as I looked at the letter. Frustratingly, this was the one day of the week that my Mum wasn’t at work in the morning and as such it was her that found the letter first on the doormat and gave it to me – I could feel her metaphorically peering over my shoulder as I opened it, which was annoying, but at least physically speaking I had shut myself in the kitchen so nobody could sneak up behind me and see. It’s a pretty personal thing and I hate the feeling of having to share it with people without having a chance for the result, whatever it may be, to sink in first.

I stalled for time by firstly opening another letter that was sent to me (I receive nothing in the post for weeks, and then two things come at once??), before, finally, I could put it off no longer. All manner of things were running through my head. I have managed, over the past few days, to distinguish RADA from the other drama schools in my mind (mainly as a way to stop myself thinking about the result so much) and have been telling myself that RADA “doesn’t count” as one of the drama schools that I am auditioning for and that to receive a rejection from them shouldn’t affect the rest of my applications or the way that I think about them, i.e. because RADA is so much higher in terms of numbers of applicants it should be treated as an entirely separate venture to the rest of them, and that I should try and focus on the other schools for the time being, if you get my drift. I told myself that LAMDA was where I was going to focus on and that it shouldn’t affect my LAMDA application or the way I thought about it or prepared for it if I was rejected by RADA…

But none of that really helped.

Anyway, I opened the letter…





















I GOT A RECALL!!!


At the eighth time of asking, I finally got a recall somewhere! And at RADA too! I’m not completely useless! Woohoo!!!

Anyway, I mustn’t get too excited, for two main reasons: 1) even if I get TWO MORE recalls from RADA I’d still have to pass the final round, so there’s a LONG way to go, and 2) I’ve got to get preparing, because my recall is exactly one week away today!

So as I say, I’d better get practising – especially as they ask for a song this time…

Now THAT’S gonna be interesting…

8 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS FROM THE DEEP DARK REALMS OF SOVIET CHINA

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS, WHOEVER YOU ARE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely delighted for you! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Don't even think about the getting a place thing yet - getting a recall is a great indication of having potential at the very least, which is a good start! Is that your next audition or do you have more first rounds in the meantime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I'm trying not to think too much about it/get too excited, and just think of it as another audition, but I have to say, after seven first round rejections in a row it was a pretty nice feeling to get a recall somewhere! :P Yes it is the next one for me, Guildhall and LAMDA are in April and Guildford still haven't come back to me yet...

      Delete
    2. Do you know what you're going to sing? Hope it goes well!

      Delete
    3. Me too :P yep I've got a couple of options but I think I know what I'm going to go for now, I think it's probably the one song in the world that I can actually sing to an acceptable standard... Should be interesting!

      Delete